Sunday, March 21, 2010

DIY Fingertip Veil Pattern

I started on this one last weekend, and have almost finished it now - just gluing the crystals on. Will post a picture of the finished veil when it's done later today, but for now i'll try to describe how i created the pattern. When i was looking for a pattern on the internet, i couldn't find any. I did manage to find a few pages which described how to create the pattern, but no diagram or picture to go with it. I only tried on two wedding dresses when i was deciding what style to make mine, but at the time was not planning to wear a veil so didn't try any on. I could have gone into a shop and asked to just look at the veils, but i thought there'd be an easier way by finding a free pattern on the internet (and easier than trying to figure out what shape the veil in the shop was before it was gathered onto the hair comb).

I looked a pictures of real weddings and decided i liked the fingertip length, and also really loved the super long ones that had been picked up by the wind and were making fascinating patterns in the air. So i decided on both :)

I bought 1.5 m of 1.3m wide tulle and cut it in half lengthways, making two rectangles 1.5m x 65cm. I put aside one of them, as it will be for the long veil. I folded the other piece in half widthways, but not quite evenly - i left one half about 10cm longer than the other. Then i cut across the fold to create two rectangles, one 70cm x 65cm, the other 80cm x 65cm, as it's going to be a two layer veil. You'll need to work out your own length for these - i measured from the bottom of my bun to my fingertips, as i want the veil to attach under my hairstyle. I folded these in half lengthwise and laid one on top of the other, matching up the bottoms.

Part 1: Creating the U shape
This is where you start to shape the veil. It will end up like a U shape, slightly rounded at the top. I got my tape measure, laid it along the fold and put my thumb on the 33cm marking, with the end of the tape at the bottom of the veil. I then swung the end of the tape round until i reached the side of the veil, marking it with chalk every so often. You're basically using the tape as a compass to draw a quarter circle.


Here's the veil pattern. You can see how i've drawn a quarter circle on the left side (which is the bottom part) of the veil, and there's a rectangle on the top part of the veil which i haven't cut yet. Ok i know in the picture it is cut, but we'll get to that in the next part!

Part 2: Rounding the top corner
Take the shorter piece of tulle and move it up so the two tops match. Now round off the edge as shown in the picture. I drew mine freehand with the chalk but it seems to have matched up with the quarter circle. You can always use the tape measure again. If you're taller, it's ok to have a straight section between the rounded edge and the quarter circle - there is a straight section on mine but it's quite short so hard to see in the picture.

This is what you should now be left with. The two pieces of veil are ready to be hemmed if you wish, have crystals glued or sewn onto them, and then gathered and sewed onto a hair comb or headband.

No comments:

Post a Comment