Sunday, May 8, 2011

DIY Wedding Dress Cleaning

I read lots of online articles about DIY wedding dress cleaning, and decided on soaking the dress in Napisan in my bath. I did this twice, fill the bath with hot water and soaked it overnight, then rinsed the sand off and resoaked it. There was so much sand caught in the flowers on my dress! There was still a lot of staining on the bottom of the dress, i tried gently scrubbing it with a soft brush and most of it was coming off, but it was a very slow process. I gave up shortly into it and popped my dress into a quilt cover and into the machine with my normal washing powder and some more Napisan, and put it on a gentle wash, low heat, low spin. 

The mistake i made with this was not tying the cover closed; my dress came out during the wash and four flowers came off. They're all ok though and can be sewn back on, and there was no other damage. There's a few stubborn marks along the very edge of the hem, but the dress looks much better and like new again. I will have a go at removing the stubborn marks at another time. They can be done by hand.

Before and after cleaning.


No comments:

Post a Comment